Section 6: Student Learning Outcome
STUDENT LEARNING OUTCOMES: Follow this structure to write your outcome:
(TARGET POPULATION) will be able to + (ACTION WORD) + (CONDITION)
- TARGET POPULATION: Use your answer from section #3
- ACTION WORD: Use actionable verbs (use Bloom’s Taxonomy: http://docsflippedclassroom.weebly.com/uploads/7/0/7/0/7070618/5646892_orig.jpg
o Examples: identify, define, describe, explain, summarize, classify, demonstrate, compute, solve, differentiate, diagram, revise, create, formulate, estimate, criticize, compare, conclude
o Try to be as clear and explicit as possible. Try to use overt and measurable words, not words that cannot be measured easily (such as appreciate, reflect, envision, understand, think, etc.)
- CONDITION: As a result of participating in … In order to …
Examples of Student Learning Outcomes:
- First year students will be able to describe three learning styles as a result of participating in incoming freshman orientation.
- Staff members will be able to identify the three types of mental health disorders most prevalent in veterans as a result of participating in Green Zone Training.
- Students will be able to identify their preferred learning style (visual, auditory, read/write, kinesthetic) as a result of participating in ASC1000.
- Members of the Greek Programming Board will be able to create a bylaws and constitution in order to establish a blueprint for event planning for the Greek population.